Dr.-Ing. Ashok Kumar Nallathambi,
Department of Mechanical Engineering
National Institute of Technology
Tiruchirappalli - 620015
Phone : +91 95003 10739
2010 Ph.D Faculty of Process & Systems Engineering
2006 M.Tech Engineering Mechanics (Solid Mechanics)
2001 B.E Mechanical Engineering
From 2018 Assistant Professor
June Department of Mechanical Engineering
2012 – 2018 Senior Researcher (Group leader, Lecturer)
2010 – 2012 Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship
2006 – 2007 Project Officer in Solid Mechanics Group
2001 – 2004 Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering
• Modeling and simulation of industrial processes
• Solidification of metals – Micro-structure development, Thermodynamics of phases
• Finite element modeling and analysis
• Thermal stresses during heat treatment of metals
• Flow boiling heat transfer – thermal boundary conditions for sprays and jets
• Constitutive modeling of solid and mushy state of metals – Creep, Viscoplasticity
• Casting defects – Hot tearing, Segregation, Porosity
Refereed International Journals
10. P.K. Penumakala, A.K. Nallathambi, E. Specht, U. Urlau,, D. Hamilton, C. Dykes, Influence of process parameters on solidification length of twin-belt continuous casting, Applied Thermal Engineering, 134, 275-286.
9. P.K. Penumakala, A.K. Nallathambi, E. Specht, U. Urlau, P. Unifantowicz, 2015. Theoretical estimation of solidification and compensation lengths in continuous casting, Applied Thermal Engineering, (84), 286-291.
8. P. Pavan Kumar, A.K. Nallathambi, E. Specht, A. Bertram, 2012. Mechanical behaviour of mushy zone in DC casting using a viscoplastic material model, Technischemechanik 32(2), 342-357.
7. A.K. Nallathambi, M.Tyagi, E.Specht, A.Bertram, 2011.Thermomechanical analysis of direct chill casting using finite element method, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals (TIIM), Vol.64, Issue 1-2, pp.13-19.
6. A.K. Nallathambi, Y. Kaymak, E.Specht, A.Bertram, 2010. Sensitivity of material properties on distortion and residual stresses during metal quenching processes, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 210 (2), pp. 204-211.
5. A.K. Nallathambi, C.Laskhmana Rao, Sivakumar M Srinivasan, 2010. Large deflection of constant curvature curved beams under follower load, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol.52, Issue 3, pp.440-445.
4. A.K. Nallathambi, E.Specht, A.Bertram, 2009. Computational Aspects of Temperature based Finite Element Technique for phase-change heat conduction problem, Computational Materials Science, 47 (2), pp. 332-341.
3. A.K. Nallathambi, E.Specht, 2009. Estimation of heat flux in array of jets quenching using experimental and inverse finite element method, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 209 (12-13), pp. 5325-5332.
2. A.K.Nallathambi, S. Doraisamy , A.S. Chandrasekar, Sivakumar M Srinivasan, 2009. A 3- species model for Shape Memory Alloys, International Journal of Structural Changes in Solid Mechanics and Applications, Vol.1, No.1, pp.149-170.
1. A. K. Nallathambi, Y.Kaymak, E.Specht, A.Bertram, 2009. Optimum Strategies to Reduce Residual Stresses and Distortion during the Metal Quenching Process, Journal of ASTM International, 6 (4). doi: 10.1520/JAI101806.
A.K.Nallathambi, Y. Kaymak, E.Specht, A.Bertram, 2008. Distortion and Residual Stresses during Metal Quenching Process, Book Chapter : Micro-Macro-Interactions in Structured Media and Particle Systems, Editors: Albrecht Bertram and Juergen Tomas, Springer-Verlag, pp 145-157, doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-85715-0_12.